Kennecott, also known as Kennecott Mines or AHRS Site No. XMC-001, is an abandoned mining camp in the Valdez-Cordova Census Area in the U.S. state of Alaska that was the center of activity for several copper mines. It is located beside the Kennicott Glacier, northeast of Valdez, inside Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve. The camp and mines are now a National Historic Landmark District administered by the National Park Service.
It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1986.
by Paul, a view of Hellingly Psychiatric Hospital, East Sussex, England
Hellingly Hospital was a large mental hospital in the village of Hellingly, east of Hailsham, in East Sussex, England. The hospital, also known as East Sussex County Asylum or just Hellingly, was opened in 1903. Its architect was GT Hine, one of the great asylum architects of the era.
The hospital boasted its own railway line, the Hellingly Hospital Railway, used principally for transport of coal. This branch line led from the main line to the boilerhouse.
by Ken Lund, a view of Rhyolite Ghost town, Nevada, United States
Rhyolite is a ghost town in Nye County, in the U.S. state of Nevada. It is located in the Bullfrog Hills, about 120 miles (190 km) northwest of Las Vegas, near the eastern edge of Death Valley. The town began in early 1905 as one of several mining camps that sprang up after a prospecting discovery in the surrounding hills. During an ensuing gold rush, thousands of gold-seekers, developers, miners, and service providers flocked to the Bullfrog Mining District. Many settled in Rhyolite, which lay in a sheltered desert basin near the region’s biggest producer, the Montgomery Shoshone Mine.
Industrialist Charles M. Schwab bought the Montgomery Shoshone Mine in 1906 and invested heavily in infrastructure including piped water, electric lines, and railroad transportation that served the town as well as the mine. By 1907, Rhyolite had electric lights, water mains, telephones, newspapers, a hospital, a school, an opera house, and a stock exchange. Published estimates of the town’s peak population vary widely, but scholarly sources generally place it in a range between 3,500 and 5,000 in 1907–08.
The historic Ludlow Cafe is located in the Route 66 town of Ludlow. Once a prime eating place in town, the skeleton of this old building has been creaking apart slowly over the years.
Ludlow is a small town in the Mojave Desert on Interstate 40, located in San Bernardino County, California, United States. The older remains of the ghost town are along historic Route 66.
By the 1940s, local mining and railway activity had ceased and the town survived supplying the needs of travellers on the National Old Trails Road, renamed to become the legendary Route 66 in California. Ludlow providing a Motor Court with bungalow cabins, the streamline moderne Ludlow Cafe, a gasoline-service garage, and shade. They operated through the late 1960s. After Interstate 40 was built bypassing town there was little business and most residents departed, leaving ruins of empty buildings and Tamarisk trees that still stand flanking the old highway. Tourists following and exploring historic Route 66 pass through the ghost town now.
Text from Wikipedia, Ludlow, California
by Todd Lappin , a view of Bodie ghost town, California, United States
Bodie is a ghost town in the Bodie Hills east of the Sierra Nevada mountain range in Mono County, California, United States, about 75 miles (120 km) southeast of Lake Tahoe. It is located 12 miles (19 km) east-southeast of Bridgeport, at an elevation of 8379 feet (2554 m). As Bodie Historic District, the U.S. Department of the Interior recognizes it as a National Historic Landmark. The ghost town has been administered by California State Parks since becoming a state historic park in 1962, and receives about 200,000 visitors yearly.
by ryder, a view of Kettle House, Galveston, Texas
Rumor has it that this weird construction was built in the 1950′s and that it is the top of a silo turned upside down and roofed. One of the most interesting facts is that it managed to survive Hurricane Ike – a 2009 hurricane classified as a Tropical Depression Nine.
Treat, Shade, and Roggs, authors of the book “Weird Texas”, say that the house was built by a guy who used to build oil storage tanks. According to locals, nobody lives in the Kettle House, yet a man comes and does maintenance on the property every so often, only to disappear for long periods of time.
Unfortunately nobody has been able to talk with this guy, so we can just continue to ask ourselves why someone would build a house that looks like a tea kettle and if the weirdo internet rumor is true that it actually works like a tea kettle and if it is, in fact, designed to float during a flood.
["Weird Texas" by Treat, Shade and Roggs]
Sewell is an uninhabited Chilean mining town located in the commune of Machalí in Cachapoal Province, O’Higgins Region, on the slopes of the Andes, at an altitude between 2,000 and 2,250 metres. The town was founded in 1904 by the Braden Copper Co. to extract the copper in the El Teniente mine, and, in 1915, it was named after the company’s first president, Mr. Barton Sewell. In 1918, it already housed 14,000 people.
by Richard Gould , a view of a Farm of Viðborð, South East, Iceland
An old building, the abandoned farm of Viðborð, in south east Iceland.
The river Hornafjarðar Fljót runs in the background.
Desert Farms in Iceland
by Scott, a view of Ghost town Prypiat, Kiev Oblas, Ukraine
Prypiat (Ukrainian: При́п’ять, Prip’yat’; Russian: При́пять, Pripyat’), 50,000 people used to live here, now it’s a ghost town in the zone of alienation in northern Ukraine, in the Kiev Oblast (province), near the border with Belarus.
Prypiat was founded in 1970 to house the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant workers, officially proclaimed a city in 1979, and was abandoned in 1986 following the Chernobyl disaster. It was the ninth nuclear-city, “атомоград” (atomograd) in Russian, literally “atom city”. Its population had been around 50,000 before the accident.
by Mon Vazquez, a view of Bailly Houses, A Coruña, Galicia, Spain
The “El Grajal” or Bailly house is an unique and magnificent example of galician art nouveau architecture.
The local government promised to restore it some time ago but this doesn’t seem to be happening.
It was designed by Antonio Tenreiro and Peregrín Estellés and built by the Bailly family between 1920 and 1924.
After the Spanish Civil War it was confiscated by the fascists, who used it for some years and then left it to rot.
The design and construction must be excellent since it has been in this sorry state for decades but it refuses to collapse.
Text by [blopsmen]