The Wiluna Gold Mine is an active gold mine in Western Australia near the town of Wiluna. The mine was active from 1984 till its closure in 2007, when it was put into care and maintenance, and again since late 2008.
After commissioning from its recent upgrade the mine should have resumed full operations before the end of 2008; however, delays in the comissoning had forced the owner, APEX Minerals, to raise more money and postpone this date. The company announced on 5 March 2009 that full production had resumed.
The mine is located on the native title of the Ngaanyatjarra aboriginal people.
On 27 January, APEX announced a trading halt for the purpose of yet another capital raising, an asset sale and a restructuring.
Text from Wikipedia, Wiluna Gold Mine
Kennecott, also known as Kennecott Mines or AHRS Site No. XMC-001, is an abandoned mining camp in the Valdez-Cordova Census Area in the U.S. state of Alaska that was the center of activity for several copper mines. It is located beside the Kennicott Glacier, northeast of Valdez, inside Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve. The camp and mines are now a National Historic Landmark District administered by the National Park Service.
It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1986.
by Emanuele Galli, a view of the abandoned mine in São Domingos, Mértola, Portugal
The São Domingos Mine is a deserted open-pit mine in São Domingos (Mértola), in the Alentejo region, Portugal. This site is one of the volcanogenic massive sulfide ore deposits in the Iberian Pyrite Belt, that extends from the southern Portugal into Spain.
The mining started many centuries ago, at the age of Romans, then had a brake until mid 19th century, as the international demand for copper grew during the Industrial Revolution. After the assignation of the mining concession in 1859 to the English mining company Mason and Barry, some important infrastructural work have been realized in the area, including an inland port and a railway. After a century of extractions, the mine eventually closed in 1966 due to mineral depletion.
Since closure the mine attracts tourists. Many old mine buildings and the open-cast pit remain abandoned, even though the old mining company headquarters has been converted into an hotel.
source: Sao Domingo page from Wikipedia
by Marco Ciccolini, a view of Cave del Predil, Tarvisio, Italy
Cave del Predil (German: Raibl, Slovene: Rabelj) is a hamlet in the Friuli-Venezia Giulia region (northeast Italy). This small village, part of the Province of Udine, is located 15 km south of Tarvisio, near the Italian-Austrian-Slovenian border. A tunnel, originally used for water drainage and then for transport of miners and political refugees escaping from Communist Yugoslavia, connects it with Log pod Mangartom, Slovenia.
Until World War I, it was part of Austria-Hungary, and then came under Italian control. It is known for its former lead and zinc mine, which operated until 1991 when it eventually closed and never reopened, leaving Cave del Predil to a poor destiny: of the 1200 citizens living here during ’70s, today only 400 are left.
by Marco Ciccolini, an abandoned building in Cave del Predil, Tarvisio, Italy
[ita] Storia della miniera di Raibl
Posted in mines
Tagged italy, tarvisio
The Elba island was well known from very ancient times for its iron resources and its valued mines: from the Etruscan in the 8th century b.C. to the modern civilization, iron have been extracted and, through the centuries, metallurgy business spread across the island, involving the local population in the working process. The steel market crisis during 80′s caused the closure of all the mines that are abandoned since then, like the one in the picture.