- by Cristina Vecchi & Alessandra Bonetti, a view of Ex sanatorium, Montecatone, Imola
Montecatone hospital is about 5 Km from Imola, on the hills, at an altitude of approx. 300 metres, in the midst of a park of 30.000 sq.m.
From 1929 until the beginning of the Second World War, three wards in rationalist style were built in order to cure patients of tuberculosis, a serious and widespread issue at that time.
This building works gave also many poor labourers the possibility of having a good job.
The whole construction is approx. 2,5 km long. The central part is still working nowadays as one of the most advanced centre for the cure and rehabilitation of patients with medullary trauma. The north and south buildings, instead, were abandoned at the beginning of the ’80.
- by Davide Angeli, a view of Psychiatric hospital “Osservanza”, Imola, Italy
The Observance asylum was built in 1890, because of the growing need for beds, that the existing Central asylum was not able to handle. At the time Luigi Lolli (Riolo Terme Imola 1819-1896), founder and director of the existing asylum, decided to build a decentralized structure that consisted of independent pavilions, had a capacity of about 1000 patients and that covered, with the agricultural colony, an area of approximately 75,000 square meters. The design model was taken from the Academy of Sciences in Paris, dating back to 1788, but still considered the most appropriate and perfect example.
It’s the first property that will be sold by the municipality, but is also the one with the richest history. The ex-slaughterhouse was derived in part from the walls of an old eighteenth-century theater, designed by the architect Cosimo Morelli. The building was constructed thanks to 16 citizens, part of the Imola’s noble families (hence the original name, Theater of Associated Knights) who in 1774 took over the financial burden of the construction works.
The theater was inaugurated on the 27th July 1782 and soon became famous for the bold architectural solutions studied by Morelli and the decorations of Antonio and Alessandro Della Nave Villa, who painted the ceiling and floor. Unfortunately, it had short life: on the 5th February 1797 it was destroyed, perhaps for a fire set by a theater company unsatisfied for engagement.
Later the building was partially rebuilt and it was used as a stable, until the acquisition by the City of Imola, that in 1864 converted it into the slaughterhouse. The building has remained in operation until 1978.
The villa was originally donated to the parish of San Cassiano in Imola: a guardians family lived there until 5 years ago, then the priest changed and so many things have changed with it…
Inside the house, there is a small chapel, the guardians said weekly a mass and the rosary during the month of May; now no one is cured of this tradition, which was a specific condition for the donation.
Afterwards, the owners were interest to sell the villa, however, they were not authorized to do so, because the will that assigned them the villa forbade it.
It’s a pity, the guardians family had to move and leave a villa of ’700 to a slowly decay. As it appears from the plans the villa is not suitable for nothing other than home or office. Furthermore, walls and ceilings are painted and in the hands of any architect it could become a beautiful studio! F.G
Posted in houses
Tagged house, imola, italy
This is an ancient villa is located in Via Montanara in Imola, abandoned by many years. The roof and some part of the walls are completely gone, but it still has a beautiful park all around.
A beautiful ruin, but it would be great to see this ancient ville shine again in the middle of Santerno’s valley!!
Posted in houses
Tagged imola, italy, villa
- by Giacomo Beccari, Villa Muggia in Imola, destroyed during WWII and never restored
Villa Muggia, a famous building designed by architect Piero Bottoni between 1936 and 1938. During World War II Villa Muggia has been seriously damaged and never restored.
Posted in houses
Tagged imola, italy