- by Cristina Vecchi & Alessandra Bonetti, a view of Ex sanatorium, Montecatone, Imola
Montecatone hospital is about 5 Km from Imola, on the hills, at an altitude of approx. 300 metres, in the midst of a park of 30.000 sq.m.
From 1929 until the beginning of the Second World War, three wards in rationalist style were built in order to cure patients of tuberculosis, a serious and widespread issue at that time.
This building works gave also many poor labourers the possibility of having a good job.
The whole construction is approx. 2,5 km long. The central part is still working nowadays as one of the most advanced centre for the cure and rehabilitation of patients with medullary trauma. The north and south buildings, instead, were abandoned at the beginning of the ’80.
- by Doug Kerr, a view of Kings Park Psychiatric Center, Long Island, New York, USA
The Kings Park Psychiatric Center, known by Kings Park locals simply as ‘The Psych Center’, is a former state-run psychiatric hospital located in Kings Park, New York. It operated from 1885 until 1996, when the State of New York closed the facility down, either releasing its few remaining patients or transferring them to the still-operational Pilgrim Psychiatric Center.
- by Paul, a view of Hellingly Psychiatric Hospital, East Sussex, England
Hellingly Hospital was a large mental hospital in the village of Hellingly, east of Hailsham, in East Sussex, England. The hospital, also known as East Sussex County Asylum or just Hellingly, was opened in 1903. Its architect was GT Hine, one of the great asylum architects of the era.
The hospital boasted its own railway line, the Hellingly Hospital Railway, used principally for transport of coal. This branch line led from the main line to the boilerhouse.
- by Davide Angeli, a view of Psychiatric hospital “Osservanza”, Imola, Italy
The Observance asylum was built in 1890, because of the growing need for beds, that the existing Central asylum was not able to handle. At the time Luigi Lolli (Riolo Terme Imola 1819-1896), founder and director of the existing asylum, decided to build a decentralized structure that consisted of independent pavilions, had a capacity of about 1000 patients and that covered, with the agricultural colony, an area of approximately 75,000 square meters. The design model was taken from the Academy of Sciences in Paris, dating back to 1788, but still considered the most appropriate and perfect example.
Those of you who ride the 29, along with some other buses that go up Hampstead Road, should be familiar with this abandoned building. It’s the London Temperance Hospital, renamed the National Temperance Hospital, currently sitting empty and abandoned next to the Robert Street bus stop, which was formerly the National Temperance Hospital stop.
Posted in hospital
Tagged london, uk