Montecatone hospital is about 5 Km from Imola, on the hills, at an altitude of approx. 300 metres, in the midst of a park of 30.000 sq.m.
From 1929 until the beginning of the Second World War, three wards in rationalist style were built in order to cure patients of tuberculosis, a serious and widespread issue at that time.
This building works gave also many poor labourers the possibility of having a good job.
The whole construction is approx. 2,5 km long. The central part is still working nowadays as one of the most advanced centre for the cure and rehabilitation of patients with medullary trauma. The north and south buildings, instead, were abandoned at the beginning of the ’80.
Text from Cristina Vecchi